As a way of adding protection and gloss to items, ultra clear epoxies are widely used for bars, tabletops, river tables, jewelry, and much more. Epoxy resins are a popular product used for various applications. However, determining the best type of epoxy for your project can be difficult.
Two common types of epoxies are table top epoxies and casting epoxies. While the two are very similar, they each have their unique properties and ideal uses. Regardless of the epoxy needed for your project, be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions because mistakes can have a huge impact on the final product.
Table Top Epoxy vs. Casting Epoxy
Two of the most popular ultra clear epoxies are table top epoxy and casting epoxy. These two share similarities, but they are very different to work with and are meant for different applications.
Table Top Epoxy
As the name implies, table top epoxy is best for pouring over flat surfaces, such as table tops, bars, counters, or resin art. It is a self-leveling epoxy meant for thin pours in thicknesses of usually 1/4’’ or less. Pour thicknesses vary depending on the application, but it is important to note that using table top epoxy for embedding thick objects takes several applications and hours.
With table top epoxy’s recommended 1:1 mixture, it is ideal for use by both beginners and professionals. The main advantages of table top epoxy over casting epoxy are its higher viscosity and faster cure time of 12-24 hours.
Also referred to as deep pour resin, casting epoxy is used for thick pours of up to 2’’. Casting epoxy is commonly used for river tables, embedding and encasing objects, jewelry, and more. It offers a lower viscosity than table top epoxy and a slower cure rate of 24-36 hours.
The longer cure time for casting epoxy allows for a longer working time, but care must be taken to prevent dust and debris from settling into the resin. The typical mixture for casting epoxies is 2:1, although some manufacturers have variations with a 1:1 or 3:1 ratio.
Advantages of Ultra Clear Epoxies
There are several features of ultra clear epoxies that make them ideal for many applications. Advantages of using ultra clear epoxies in your project include:
Click to expand
- Blush Resistant. Even in high humidity conditions, ultra clear epoxy does not blush or sweat.
- High Gloss. The formula for ultra clear epoxy cures with a highly glossy and transparent finish. To achieve this polished appearance, it typically takes only three coats or less.
- Simplified Mix Ratios. Simple mix ratios make using ultra clear epoxies easier to measure and mix. This makes it preferred by many as it reduces the risk of minor errors that affect the final product.
- Tough Surfaces. Ultra clear epoxies are formulated to tough industrial standards, providing indestructible surfaces for your project. Epoxy results in long-lasting, maintenance-free surface protection that resists scratching, yellowing, and distortion.
- Wood Adhesion. Ultra clear epoxies are the ideal solution for porous materials, helping protect the surface while accentuating the wood’s natural features.
Copps Industries’ Ultra Clear Epoxies
At Copps Industries, we offer an ultra clear epoxy line made for your unique applications, from sealing a bar top to adding a gleam to objects. With our high-quality consumer epoxy products, we can meet your bulk order or private label needs.
The two primary varieties of ultra clear epoxy we feature are Ultra Clear Coat Table Top Epoxy and Ultra Clear Casting Epoxy. Our commercial-grade craft epoxies are self-leveling and create beautiful and clear finishes quickly and easily with superior physical properties. You can apply our ultra clear epoxies using foam brushes, rollers, or squeegees.
From comprehensive sales and customer service to product development and technical support, Copps Industries is here to provide the best solutions for our customers. To learn more about our line of ultra clear epoxies, or to get started on your epoxy solution, contact us or request a quote today.