Epoxy has transformed from a crafting product and occasional industrial product to a major material throughout the construction industry. Today’s epoxy products are innovative materials that are strong, durable, and capable of retaining structural integrity for years. Manufacturers and installers can even use epoxy in residential and commercial construction applications across a wide range of aesthetics and design styles.
Copps Industries provides construction businesses with diverse epoxy products and solutions for virtually every construction application. Learn more about the benefits, types, and installation best practices for making construction epoxy part of your team’s workflow.
Construction Epoxy Concrete Creation
Epoxy products can enhance concrete, adding extra strength, durability, and structural integrity to the finished forms, as well as adherence to mating surfaces or structural supports. Epoxy can also minimize the risk of shrinkage and cracking as concrete cures, further enhancing the strength of structural concrete elements and making it more aesthetically pleasing as a surface material. Construction experts can use many different types of epoxy for concrete, including self-leveling epoxy, bonding epoxy, and injection epoxy.
Consider the benefits of epoxy in more detail:
- Increased Strength and Durability: When epoxy is applied to concrete, the combination has a greater tensile strength, increasing concrete’s load-bearing capabilities. It also has more resistance against compressive forces, extending its useful lifespan.
- Improved Adhesion: Epoxy compounds can be used for repairs, resurfacing, and bonding due to the excellent adhesion of epoxy.
- Reduced Shrinkage and Cracking: Large or complex concrete pours can crack during the curing period. But epoxy stabilizes the material as it cures and hardens, reducing cracking.
Types of Epoxy Used in Concrete
Depending on the application, construction professionals use one of these three popular options:
- Epoxy Concrete Adhesives: Bonding epoxy compounds are designed to maximize adhesion characteristics, creating a longer-term, reliable bond.
- Injection Epoxy: These epoxies are specially formulated to fill and seal cracks, both by adhering to the original surfaces and by reducing the risk of future cracks or shrinkage that makes gaps reappear. The products can be used for repairs and creating watertight seals.
- Self-Leveling Epoxy: Self-leveling epoxy is the perfect solution for revitalizing uneven or worn-out concrete floors. It effortlessly evens out damaged concrete, resulting in a sleek, uniform surface, making it a popular choice for enhancing the aesthetic appeal of floors.
Construction Epoxy for Coatings
Another common application for epoxy is surface coatings. Both residential garages and commercial floors, in general, will frequently have epoxy coatings that cover the underlying surface. Some of the key benefits epoxy coatings provide are:
- Customization: Manufacturers can produce a wide range of different colors and finishing styles with epoxy coatings. Options include solid colors, gradients, metallic pigments, flakes for flecks of color, and quartz aggregates to give the floor a more natural stone pattern.
- Durability: Epoxy coatings extend the lifespan of concrete and protect it against damage from spills, heavy traffic, scratches, and impact damage.
- Easy Maintenance: Epoxy coatings are easy to clean and maintain throughout the years, especially compared to porous concrete surfaces. The coating resists both stains and chemical damage.
- Longevity: Epoxy coatings can last for several years. Combined with the low maintenance demands and protective properties, epoxy coatings are a cost-effective solution.
Construction Epoxy Composites for Countertops and Architectural Services
The third popular use case for epoxy in construction is for countertops and other surfaces. Epoxy countertops offer the same positive characteristics as epoxy flooring coatings: durability, customization, and easy maintenance. Construction teams can customize the formula to match different style preferences, easily install the production, and know it won’t need replacement for years to come.
Epoxy for Countertops
While epoxy countertops are easy to install with the right products, they require precision and adherence to a strict process. The four main steps of creating these countertops are:
- Preparing the Substrate: First, contractors will shape wood or MDF to create the countertop base, to match the dimensions and design requirements for the floor plan.
- Adding Decorative Aggregates:Next, the contractor will add stones, crushed glass, or other decorative elements on the base before the epoxy is applied.
- Pouring and Curing the Epoxy: When the surface is ready, contractors can then pour properly mixed epoxy resin across the base and aggregates. The liquid will coat the surface, where it then hardens. The resulting surface is glossy and smooth.
- Finishing and Sealing the Surface: Installers can then sand and polish the surface to create a smooth finish. Adding an extra topcoat sealant will further protect the surface and add shine.
Architectural epoxy products can be used in the following applications:
- Exterior Cladding: Epoxy is durable, water- and chemical-resistant, and long-lasting, making it a solid choice for exterior surfaces.
- Interior Wall Coverings: Because of its customizability, contractors and artisans can use epoxy to create custom wall coverings.
- Architectural Features: Columns, beams, and other architectural features can be covered with epoxy panels to achieve the right look.
Considerations for Choosing Construction Epoxy
Because construction teams can use epoxy in so many different contexts, the market has a wide array of different products. Choosing the right epoxy product is key to creating the right finish or structural element. Compare different products based on these characteristics:
- Price and budget
- Environmental conditions of the property during and after installation
- Surface prep requirements
- Health and safety requirements
- Routine maintenance and future repair considerations
Learn More About Construction Epoxy With Copps Industries
Today’s construction teams can use epoxy products to improve the quality of construction projects at every phase of a build. Not only can epoxy strengthen and enhance concrete, but it’s also an increasingly popular material for floors, countertops, and wall panels. At Copps Industries, we create epoxy products and formulas that construction teams can trust to get work done. Reach out today to learn more about our selection of products and solutions, or request a quote for your next project.